Over the weekend, I heard the following statement in a meeting of my recovery program, “I might be powerless over this situation, but I am not helpless.” This stuck with me and is something I’ve been thinking about for a few days. It’s become my mantra (seriously, I repeat it all the time) and has been a focus of my morning meditations.
What does this mean? For me it means that I have absolutely no control over the COVID-19 situation. No matter what I want, there is absolutely nothing I can do to make it go away. However, there are things that I can do to help – I am not helpless.
I’ve come up with a list of things that I (and others) can do to help in this situation and feel a little overwhelmed by what is out of my control.
- Stay inside and follow the guidance of professionals
- Call friends and family to check on in them
- Make masks for healthcare professionals
- Go grocery shopping for someone who isn’t able to
- If you’re able to, donate money to a cause that is helping others
No matter what it is, there are ways we can help – big or small. The world needs as much positive energy as we can put into it right now.